Friday, April 1, 2011

When one door closes another surly does open...

...because God is good like that! So, many of you know that today well, March 31st, was my last day at Spring Arbor of Raleigh Assisted Living. In the past few weeks life has been a whirlwind, but in the busyness and the chaos God lead me to a door he meant for me to knock on. So, one morning I got out of bed and said, I'm going to look for a another job today! A job that can be marked as the start of a career. And, what do you know, there it was right in front me, Activity Director at Hillside Nursing and Rehab. Well, sure I have the experience, the credentials, let me apply! Once I called and inquired on the job, I had the position within the next 4 days, now that's the work of the Father! I'm not that special! I start Monday.
 See the thing is, I've always had a strong self image and perspective of me, except when he came to a career. I know it didn't really bother anyone but me and my parents that since I've been out of college, I've not had a steady career in "one" specific field. So I'd have my days where I'd be all mopey about not working full time or having a real "big girl job", and I'd pray "Father move me in the direction that I can best be used in your Kingdom to bring people to know you in a professional setting." And, when looking over my resume for Hillside, Mr. Burroughs said " I am quite impressed with your resume, you sure have a career in serving people which is exactly what we need you to do here. " Why all of sudden, did it click to me...DUH I've had a career!..Maybe not as just a teacher, or just a mentor, or just a youth leader, or just a camp counselor, or just an Activity Director, but most importantly I've made a career out of serving people and right then and there I was humbled. As soon as, I got back out to the Jeep, I said to myself and God wow I really missed that point! I thank God for leading me to every position I've ever held because I can personally tell you what the purpose of every one was.
 I'll admit, I love teenagers, I connect with them and I personally NEVER saw me making a career out of loving and serving the elderly but boy do I love it! And, I'll admit this week has been hard on me, I hate leaving people but I do look forward to those in my future. Working at Spring Arbor has taught me more than any other position, or at least taught me the same thing but in a louder manner. Elderly are honorary, they are right you are wrong, it's their world you're just there to make it better, so obviously they have taught me humility and patience. Most importantly they are loving and lovable, wise and the best mentors, they sure know God and how to pray, they are fun, entertaining and absolutely precious. With that said, they've taught me to lighten up, enjoy life, make wise, smart decisions, to love the Lord above all things and to be intentional about mentoring the younger generations. I've made so many friends at SA, residents and fellow teammates, and I'm not lying when I say I've had my convictions about leaving but I know that my Father put me at SA to train me, equip me for Hillside, so I must go. With my departure I take all that I've learned, all who I love with me because I sure could not have made the move into a "career" or my first real "big girl job" with out each and everyone of them.  I can do this with confidence because I know me well enough to know that I understand the only true investment worth making is that in people. Therefore, I won't be a stranger to my family at Spring Arbor because yea of course I'll return for many visits but I will also carry them and all the wonderful and not so wonderful memories of them wherever I go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment